This is why I appreciate the Ateneo. This is why I am 100% sure I made the right decision in picking this university among many others. The fact that the institution gives as much importance to core subjects as well as major subjects is truly reflective of the points raised by Howard Gardner in his “Five Minds for the Future” lecture.
However, as great as the offerings of the school may be, they are not enough to fully cultivate the Five Minds for the Future. According to my Philosophy 102 class last year, institutions can only do so much. They may be able to provide us with our needs, but we as human persons must also do our part by responding to these offerings and by receiving them fully. In other words, we have to rid ourselves of the apathetic attitude that we hold towards our core subjects. We have to realize that these things matter, that they should not be taken for granted, because they can greatly form our character for the future. This is the only way we can truly develop the Five Minds.
This is my last year in college. In a few months, I’ll be donning that blue toga and saying goodbye to more than a decade of formal education forever. I’m not really scared of leaving the university and entering that shark-filled unknown called the real world. I’d like to think I’m ready for that, what with my Comm subjects supplying me with more than three years of training in this field. What terrifies me is the fact that in the process of hunting for jobs, of spending each day in toxic concrete jungles filled with unfamiliar faces, of keeping up with the fast-paced lifestyle of a working person, I might lose that reflective attitude that I’m used to now. I might forget to see the good side in things. I might forget to be appreciative of the things that really matter, that values and good character are as important, or even more important, than anything else. This is why we have to use this time while we can. Awareness and attitude is the key.
No comments:
Post a Comment