Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Design Observation #3: Joe's Room

Upon entering Joe's room, the first thing you will probably notice is the size of it. I think it's quite small for a grown guy, measuring only a few yards wide, and even fewer across. But the more interesting thing about it is that despite its size, it doesn't look cluttered at all. There's enough space for all his basic necessities.

This is the bed. Sheets aren't really very neatly pressed, but for a boy's room, I think it's tidy enough.


At the foot of the bed is his study desk. Sitting on it is a non-functioning computer monitor. I don't know why he doesn't just throw it out, he has a laptop to use anyway.


On the far side of the room is his closet and some shelves.


On the lower shelf is an assortment of items kind of messily arranged: souvenirs from his US trips, miniature car toys, CDs, and a few photographs.


On the upper shelf, he keeps the boxes of the many gadgets he has bought over the years, like his game consoles, cellphones, and cameras. Contrary to what you might think, he's not really a techie. He just loses his gadgets a lot, which is why he has to keep buying new ones. :-p


Spanning the entire length of the right wall are more shelves, placed on top of which is his TV and a Nintendo Wii set.


The shelves contain a lot of books. Which surprise me, because in the 4 years that I have known Joe, he never really struck me as the type who reads simply for pleasure. Thus, I am assuming that these books are not his, or if they are his, he only bought them because they were required for school. :-p

In general, I think the room reflects Joe's personality a lot - simple, laid back, no extra frills, and straight to the point. And though it may not be perfectly tidy, it's okay, because the fact that it's kinda rough around the edges make it all the more endearing.

Now, if I were to give Joe a gift, it would probably have to be a picture of his friends. I think that's the only thing missing in his room. There are too few pictures! :-p

No comments:

Post a Comment